Saturday, December 31, 2011

Stupid Angry Birds a.k.a. meltdown in aisle 2

We made the big announcement to The Daddy's family the other night; we are moving across country in January. Well, the children and I are moving in January. The Daddy will be here for a few more months, which makes the move a little harder for the children. So far they are focusing on the fact that there will be snow where we are going, which is pretty awesome to them considering the weather here in Louisiana. Yet while they are talking about making snow men and going sledding, I am wondering how they are going to react to a whole new set of teachers and new classmates. I get to go through the entire IEP process with Ben and Kevin all over again (which I wouldn't have to do here for another 8 months) as well as be "on call" every day in case one of them (probably Kevin) has a meltdown at school and I need to go up there. So its single parenting for me for a few months, which is a lot better than doing it all the time but still sucks.
Today has gone so well, I was thinking I can do this. It won't be a cake walk, but it won't be that hard either. Then came the Angry Birds. Stupid Angry Birds. Why do they have to make stuffed animals for my child to have a meltdown over? If I didn't know better, I'd swear they made those stupid toys just to prove a point, to remind me that I will be the only person dealing with the meltdowns for a few months. There will be no brief respite when The Daddy gets home from work because he will be 1500 miles away. It'll just be me. Wow, that sounds daunting.
I guess I should explain why I suddenly hate Angry Birds. We were in a store after dinner (mistake 1) and we got sidetracked looking at things other than what we had gone in there for (mistake 2). Kevin noticed the stuffed Angry Birds on the shelf and began trying to convince us that he just HAD to have one of them. "It's only $9, Mom," he pleaded. "I'll stop pestering you about them FOREVER if you'll just get me this one," he begged. The Daddy and I both told him no. We knew we should run for the exit right then, but I still wanted to look a little more. The Daddy took all three children for a little window shopping walk while I continued talking to the sales lady. When they came back, Kevin went straight to the shelf with the Angry Birds on it and refused to move. The Daddy ended up carrying him. So then we were in a hurry to check out and get out of the store before the big meltdown began. The Daddy took Kevin outside and I hurriedly checked out with Ben and Rapunzel in tow. We hurried out the door and met Kevin and The Daddy at the exit. By this point Kevin was sobbing "I want an Angry Bird" over and over again. I gave the buggy and the other two children to The Daddy and picked Kevin up in my arms and carried him to the car like a baby on my shoulder. He sobbed even as I buckled him into his seat. Stupid Angry Birds. Stupid shiny baubles that distracted me. Stupid Asperger's. And to think, I get to play The Mommy and The Daddy all by myself soon. I think we will be avoiding all stores after dinner until The Daddy joins us up there. Maybe even after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment