Thursday, December 29, 2011

Alternate reality anyone?

A normal morning in our house consists of Ben and Kevin jumping around like a couple of kangaroos on crack until their medication kicks in while Rapunzel wants to be snuggled until she is completely awake. Not this morning! Sure, the boys did their kangaroo bit at first, but the rest of the morning has been anything but normal. Ben has been in time out a couple times already for mouthing off and Rapunzel found herself in the same position after her stunt with the pancake followed by her little diva fit. Kevin has been busily working on getting his chores done. I'm starting to wonder if I woke up in an alternate reality!
Ben has been pretty temperamental lately and my mother-in-law reminded me that he is getting close to the right age for puberty. Puberty?!?! I am SO not ready for that! And Rapunzel is always a diva, but her tantrums are getting worse lately. Kevin is always one to please, he's just prone to meltdowns when overstimulated, so him wanting to get his chores done and coming to us for praise is nothing unusual when I think about it. I do have to wonder if some of this behavior is because we recently announced that we will be moving in January. Not just moving, but moving clear across country and into a whole new climate! But the move is a story for next time.
Let me go ahead and explain the pancake incident... The Daddy made pancakes for the children for breakfast. Things were going pretty well until The Diva decided that her pancake was too well done and she tried to throw it away. When I told her not to waste food, she decided that it would be a good idea to show her anger at me by squeezing the pancake into a nasty, sticky ball of goo. This was followed by one of her tantrums with the phony crying and wailing. At this point I had not even finished my first cup of coffee yet, so I was in no mood for the fit. She quickly found herself in time out for 5 minutes. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but these tantrums have gotten progressively worse over the last few months. In fact, she is having another tantrum in her bedroom as I write this. I have no idea what prompted this one, but The Daddy is in there talking to her, so I'll know soon enough. I dread her reaction when I go in there and start packing up her toys...


No comments:

Post a Comment