Thursday, April 19, 2012

Zombie Logic

My poor Kevin has nightmares with a recurring theme: Zombies. He is so terrified of them that we cannot even mention the word within 2 hours of his bedtime or we can guarantee nightmares. Two nights ago Kevin climbed in bed with us at 3am because of a particulary nasty nightmare. We always talk about his nightmares when he climbs in bed with us so that he can sort of process what scared him and that he is safe in reality. This night was like every other in that respect. Kevin climbed in our bed and began telling me about his dream. What seemed to be the most upsetting thing to him was the fact that I apparently was not in this dream. He said it with such sorrow in his voice and what he said next made me pull him as close to me as I could and hug him. He said, "You weren't there, so that means you were either a zombie already or you were killed before they came." Kevin is such a logical little man, so at times like this it is best to use logic to make him feel better. I asked him if his daddy was with him in the dream. When he said yes, I asked him where I could have been if I were still alive. He said I could have been at the store when the zombies attacked (good boy). I told him that sounded about right. I was probably at the grocery store when the zombies attacked, which means I was making my way back to them, kicking some serious zombie butt along the way, and that he just woke up before I got to them. That made absolute sense to him and he fell asleep between The Daddy and me. Fast forward to Kevin waking up a few hours later for school. He told his dad about the nightmare, but this time it was a little different. He said, "Mommy was at the store when the zombies attacked, so you (Daddy) had to protect us by yourself until she got there. But Mommy kicked some serious zombie butt on her way back to us! And she had a pick ax and a gun for protection." I'm not sure if he actually knows what a pick ax is, but it sure sounds good. That's my logical little man. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment