Monday, November 28, 2011
Experience Makes It Easier. NOT!
I'm sitting in the waiting room of the psychologist's office while my 9 year old has his monthly session and my heart is still beating too fast. I just asked the doctor to do an assessment on my son for Asperger Syndrome. You'd think it would be easy, considering my 6 year old was diagnosed a couple years ago. Let me tell you, it is not any easier the second time around! Asking for each boy to be tested for ADHD was easier than this and I'm not really sure why. My degree is in psychology and I'm about to start grad school in clinical psychology. I am well educated, informed, and experienced. This should be easy. Well, its not. I hate labeling my children. I know I'm not the only parent who has ever felt like this, but it sure feels lonely right now.
This is a process and it will be several weeks before they even administer any tests, but I think this is the hardest part; admitting that my wonderful child might have challenges that I as his mother have not helped him with so far. Do we as parents put too much pressure on ourselves? Of course we do. Does knowing that make it any better? Not one bit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment