Tuesday, June 19, 2012

An Apple A Day... May Be Hazardous to Your Health Today!

It is not even 9:30 yet and already I am regretting not giving the boys their medicine. Kevin woke up in a particularly nasty mood this morning. He wanted an apple for breakfast and I told him that he could have cereal instead. You would have thought I just murdered his best friend based on the way he responded! He began yelling and screaming and hitting my bed. He flew into a rage! I tried my best to stay calm, but I really wanted to smack him for his outrageous behavior! (Note: We do not use corporal punishment in our house. It is counterproductive and we believe in making these moments learning experiences. That doesn't mean we don't have completely human responses to our emotions sometimes.) I ended up making him sit down until he was able to regain his composure and then he was allowed downstairs with his brother and sister or breakfast. But things did not stop there. Kevin ate a small amount of cereal and then got an apple from the refrigerator! When I told him to put it back, he completely melted down! Sobbing uncontrollably, snot running down his face, he was so out of control that he could not even argue with me about it because he could not catch his breath! This is just ridiculous!

So now he is in the basement with his brother and sister playing. I am waiting to see what will happen next. Two full-fledged meltdowns in an hour is not the norm for our house, so I am a little on edge about it. Worse yet, I have to be at work at 1pm and I am worried about this behavior carrying over when the nanny gets here. All of this because of a stupid apple.

1 comment: