Thursday, June 7, 2012

Medication Vacation aka Mama Has Lost Her Mind!

Maybe I have lost my mind, or maybe I am just a glutton for punishment, but we have decided to let the boys go without medication for their ADHD for the summer. Let me just say Oh My God!!! I expected the increase in impulsiveness, hyperactivity, and aggression (especially in Kevin), but I did not expect their appetites to increase SO MUCH!! I am going to the grocery store every other day to buy more food because they are eating everything in sight! Both boys claim that they are hungry all the time and do not seem to get full no matter what. I keep healthy snacks in the house, so they are eating tons of fruits and vegetables, but I am still a little concerned by how much they are eating. Even my daughter is very slender, so I never paid a whole lot of attention to the fact that the boys are so skinny. They are well within the healthy range for their height, which is on the tall side. They make all of their doctor appointments and we have a great medical team who monitors them closely because of the medication. So why am I so worried?
On the bright side of things, we have made it this far without giving up and putting them back on their medication. Ben reports that he is glad he is off his medication for the summer. Since he does not have to worry about school work or anything else that requires a great deal of focus and concentration, he sees this as a welcome break. Kevin hasn't really said anything on the subject other than he is hungry all the time.
I think my biggest concern is for next month. We are moving back to Louisiana and will be staying with my husband's family for a few months while we find a new house and settle in. This is only an issue because we are intruding on family with our wild children off their medication. My husband's parents made it through raising three boys and I know that they can handle our children, but it feels wrong to expect them to put up with the headache that comes with trying to get our boys through the day without meltdowns. I am hoping to get the children in a summer care program where they will spend the day engaged in different activities. If we can do this right, the children will spend the summer engaged in some sort of activity for most of the day. I'll keep you all posted on our successes!

No comments:

Post a Comment