Everyone is writing about their New Years resolutions or their Top 10s, but who wants to be like everyone else? One thing I have learned from my children is that being like everyone else (i.e being "normal") is so overrated. So I have decided to write about our progress on our big move.
Maybe I should go back a couple weeks to when The Daddy got fed up with Ben and Kevin's room always being so messy. We had been on them for two days to get their room cleaned up and put away their toys, but they just could not seem to get it done. We tried bribing them and threatening them and they just did not seem to care. Then The Daddy had an awesome idea... he went into the boys' room with them and began helping them organize all of their toys into the proper containers. He told them that they had to get things packed up for the move so that we could make sure everything got to go with us. Suddenly the boys were worried about getting up North and discovering some beloved toy was left behind! They got every single toy picked up and organized in no time! Most of their toy containers have been moved out to the storage room so that they will stay ready for the big move, but the boys have been given a couple toy sets to play with over the next couple weeks.
Which leaves me with Rapunzel's room... That child has so many Barbies, Disney Princesses, Strawberry Shortcake toys, and Squeenkies that I shudder at the thought of even walking into her room! It's not really fair to the boys that she still has all of her stuff in her room, but I just have not wanted to tackle that den of girliness. Procrastination has set up shop and I'm not sure I'm ready to kick it out yet. From the look on The Daddy's face when he just went in there to get her remote control car, I guess today is the day that I have to kick procrastination out the door and get things done. *sigh*
So here I go into Girly Girl Hell, um I mean my daughter's room. I hope I don't go into sugar shock from all the pink and purple. #Ishouldhavedonetheboys'roominstead
What a great idea! We also are stuggling to get any of our kids to pick up their toys, and often unless we are helping, my ASD ADHD son has a meltdown. The last time we moved we actually did leave a toy behind and he still talks about it today. I think by reminding him of this it might help for the next month. After the move though, I'm back to the drawing board! Good luck on your move too!
ReplyDeleteWe have a chore chart (dry erase board) that we use where the children pick 4 chores each to do that day (12 to choose from). We write the child's name next to the chosen chore as a reminder and check it off when done. They feel like they have some control because they get to choose which chores are theirs for the day. We also use a lot of positive reenforcement such as Bonus Bucks to meet their need for immediate gratification. It usually works pretty well. Of course, cleaning bedrooms and making beds are mandatory daily chores for everyone. We also have a behavior chart as a visual reminder of how their day is going. I hope that gives you some ideas for your kids. Good luck!
ReplyDelete