It's been such a long time since I last posted, I don't know where to start! We moved the family back to Louisiana just over a year ago and have settled in pretty well. Ben in now in middle school, which is terrifying to me! He faced some pretty big challenges with being the new kid in 6th grade, but he appears to be getting along better now. This is after 3 suspension for getting into a fight at school, using the "f-word" when telling a "mean kid" to leave him alone, and threatening a child who was just being bossy and getting on his nerves. Talk about some serious changes! He's always been so mild mannered and respectful. The worst part is that my straight-A student has had his first bad grades this year. Not because he doesn't understand the material, but because he has decided that he doesn't want to be smart anymore. Why? Because the "cool kids" at school make fun of him for being smart. In fact, that is what lead to his acting out and subsequent suspensions. Not an excuse for his behavior, but I can understand where he's coming from on this.
So here I have an adolescent boy who is not only dealing with the changes associated with puberty, starting middle school, and being the new kid, but he's also suffering low self-esteem because he's picked on for being smart. I have to give the school officials credit for working with us and trying to make things better for him (he's at a great school). His school counselor has been a tremendous help through all of this. What is hard for me is that I have all this training and education, but it doesn't help when it's your own child going through it!
The good news is his grades are improving and he's starting to make friends now. He hasn't gotten into trouble since September and he seems to no longer dread school days. I am very grateful for the relationships The Daddy and I have formed with the school officials and for the fact that not only do they hold Ben accountable for his actions, but they also stand up for him when he is the one being picked on. Now if I can just get through adolescence with him without stringing him up by his toes..
No comments:
Post a Comment