Thursday, February 16, 2012

Poop and Parking Lots

For months I've read other parents' stories of children running off and of children playing in their own poop. I've thought we were so fortunate that we never had to deal with either issue. Well, I've gotten a crash course in both over the past month. Kevin will be 7 in May, so I can only assume that these new issues have come up because of our big move last month. North Dakota is about as different from Louisiana as you can get, so I expected some issues. I just thought they would have more to do with changing schools and making new friends. I never expected my almost 7 year old to start playing in the toilet while he is sitting on it and I certainly never thought he would begin running off. It is a battle just to get him in the van every morning to go to school because he wants to wander around the yard (front and back) touching the snow and picking things up. When we go to my dad's house to visit, he simply will not walk up the steps. Instead he climbs up the hill and tramples the plants there so that he can touch things. But the worst is that he has begun taking off in parking lots. Just last night I had to grab him by the back of his coat to keep him from walking in front of an SUV because he wanted to see what was in the bottle on the other side of the road! He walks around the van twice before he'll get in it, and then its only because I go around and get him that he actually climbs in. I tell you, my hair is turning grey just thinking about it! And the poop thing, so gross! I supervise him during hand washing to make sure he's actually washing them and getting the poop off! As for school, he's doing great. He's making friends (according to himl) and he hasn't had a meltdown there yet! He's been taken by the special ed teacher because he has become aggravated and needed redirection, but no actual meltdowns. He saves those for when he's at home. And in case you are wondering, Ben and Rapunzel are doing well in school. Both are making friends and are enjoying the snow. Meanwhile, I'm contemplating what color hair dye will best cover up all of my new grey!

No comments:

Post a Comment